21 September, 2009

Introducing Marta

I am very excited to introduce a special guest writer to this blog... Marta!


In the interest of bringing you the most up-to-date news that we can from Israel, Marta will be here, armed with camera and computer, to give the latest scoop, while I'm busy glued to a harp or have my nose stuck in my scores. Marta is highly qualified for this job, being my team partner in this whole operation, privy to all the details behind the Israel competition, but there's no need for me to tell you all this. I've set her up with her own author's account, and here she is to speak for herself:


Hi, My Name Is...Vicarious Parasite

Since Elizabeth has invited me to contribute, I thought I would write my first entry as a sort of short introduction. Officially, I am a harpist working and living in Paris, teaching many students big and small, and performing whenever at all possible (usually to the right of Elizabeth as her duet partner). Unofficially, I am a parasite ready to vicariously conquer Israel through Elizabeth's hard work and determination! Actually, I try not to be that invasive. I hope to be a nice, warm, fuzzy parasite, whose best interest lies in the success of her host body! It is true, that the Israel competition has always been presented to me as the ultimate goal of any self-respecting harpist. Having "missed the boat" for many reasons that my amour-propre would like to think are out of my control (having to begin teaching in order to support myself while still in school, deciding that it is not worth doing competitions after a certain age, realizing that I didn't really like preparing, participating in, and then crashing after competitions, etc. etc. etc.), I am thrilled that Elizabeth was able to step up to the challenge, and that she is allowing me to be an intimate part of the whole process. It is really the best way to participate in such a harrowing experience - empathetically!

My job assignment in Israel is to be Elizabeth's surrogate mommy (iron dresses, fetch water, provide snacks when signs of fatigue appear...) travel companion (Jerusalem, here we come!) and of course, personal and musical yogi (specializing in the uplifting of spirits and with ears ready to hear a missed muffle a mile away). For you, dear readers, I will be your eyes on Elizabeth as she goes through the competition, providing photos, descriptions, and insights on her day to do day doings.

This completes my first blog entry... I'm now off to rescue small students from droopy thumbs and wrong notes, and then to the theater to reunite with my lovely and exhausted duet partner, Elizabeth, for another wonderful LaFontaine show!

1 comment:

DavidEGrayson said...

Yay! That's so cool that you're bringing a good friend. Sounds like fun.