08 September, 2009

La Fontaine


WARNING: Do not try this at home, kids!

When you're preparing a big, international solo competition, you're generally supposed to say no to other commitments that creep up, especially in the days immediately preceding the competition. However, real life is always more complicated, so I have gotten myself dangerously over committed.

I am going to be spending most of my evenings this month playing for a show in two different theaters in Paris. The show is a collection of fables written in old French verse by Jean de la Fontaine. Like Aesop's fables, many of these fables use animals to represent various character types. This show centers around fables about the animals who have been type-cast with the short end of the stick. From left to right, we have Alain de Bock as the wolf, Katherine Gabelle as the snake, and Damien Luce as the rat. As a harp duo, Marta and I provide the accompanying music and illustrative sound effects, and in the latest staging we even get to die and collapse dramatically onto our harps and then strut around the stage plucking hairs off the guys' heads. Fortunately they have not entrusted any of the French verse to our weird accents, so we do all our work in music and mime. I'm especially excited about all the cool lighting effects we've been able to add to the show now that we're playing in a real theater.

It starts tomorrow night!
http://www.lafontaine-spectacle.fr/

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

This is spectacularly awesome, and the photo you have posted is absolutely fantastic. It makes me wish I could wear formals to conferences...

Elizabeth said...

You should try wearing a ballroom dress to your conferences and see what happens!

We just played our first performance of this theater, and there were a grand total of 3 people in the audience: the director of the theater, a friend of one of the actors, and someone else I didn't get to meet. It was a little pathetic. Apparently we have 10-15 reservations already for tomorrow night, though, so it should start picking up!

DavidEGrayson said...

Haha, that's cute. And what an adorable photo.

Wow, only three people. It happens. I don't know how the producer promoted the show and advertised and what turnout he expected. But sometimes you just need to try making something random that you're not sure anyone will want or not. Ryan and I have made websites that only have about 3 users.

Hopefully more people will come to your show the next time!

Elizabeth said...

We've played the show three times before this, in other venues, and each time we had a full house, consisting of 50-150 people depending on how much the venue could hold. I think this theater is just not very good. They are hidden in a little alley way, very hard to find, nothing that catches the eye in any way.

Eve said...

THIS sounds absaloutly amazing and I only wish I could see it! Snap as well btw because when you left a message on my blog I happened at that exact same time, be checking out your blog!

always connected ;)