19 October, 2009

Interview: Emily Levin

Emily Levin is the youngest of the three finalists who are now off in Jerusalem preparing the Ginastera concerto. At the age of only 18, it is a truly impressive accomplishment to have made it this far. Emily is from Denver, Colorado, where from the age of five she was a student of the Suzuki Method. Accompanying her in Israel are her teacher Mary Kay Waddington and her mother. Just this fall, she started her freshman year at the University of Indiana School of Music, with Susann McDonald. We managed to fit in a brief, casual interview with Emily before she left.




Can you tell us about your preparation for the competition? 

I started the music 2 years ago, about 3 months after the list came out. I had participated in the contest when I was 15, and I knew I wanted to do it again, plus I was really excited about the repertoire. I learned the "big" pieces first - the Salzedo variations, ReniƩ, and Ginastera, and then added on to that. But it was difficult sometimes because I was in my senior year of high school, and trying to decide on college and such, and it was quite difficult to find the time. During the summer I considered not doing it, but I am so glad I did!

How did you finally settle on La danse devant l'arche for your modern piece?

My teacher (Mary Kay Waddington) just happened to have it, and I played through it a few times and saw lots of possibilities. I settled on that one, and was quite excited for it.

Is there anything you would like to share with us about your experience at the competition so far?

When I came the first time, I was amazed at how inviting and supportive the atmosphere is here. Most competitions are really cutthroat and competitive, but here, although the level is really high, the competitors enjoy spending time together and cheer one another on. This time especially, I have met some wonderful people. They are a welcome relief from the four walls of my practice room!

What are your plans for after Israel?

I don't have anything scheduled. This has been my major project for two years, and I am excited to just enjoy the college experience and work on some non-competition music. Life AI (after Israel) will be so relaxing. I have a lengthy list of pieces that I would love to learn - I will be starting that! Also, I have an orchestra repertoire class at college that I was exempt from until after Israel, and I will need to work on that.

We heard that you recently tried on 25 different dresses at the last-minute for the final stage. Tell us about your experience with the dresses.

I wanted to have a red dress for the Ginastera, and I couldn't find one anywhere in Denver or at IU. When my mom and I came, we decided that we would only worry about finding a dress if I made it to the semi-finals. Then I got to semi-finals, and since if you make it to the finals you have to leave Sunday morning at ten, basically, today (Friday) was the only day to go shopping!

 We went to a store where the guy didn't speak any English. There were a few potentials. The dressing room was tiny, tiny, tiny, five by five maximum. I'm crammed up in this corner, trying on dresses, and I came out and they all looked really bad. And then they just kept coming; there were, I'm not joking, there were 20 or 25. We're going to say 27, because that's cool (27 Dresses is a fantastic movie, by the way!). I tried all the red dresses, and then tried burgundy and blue and purple, and then he started pulling out dresses from the back. It just never ended. And then, finally, we hadn't found anything, so I got dressed, and as I finish my mom said, "Oh wait! He brought one more!" I could hear them talking about it - "Well, it might look good on. I don't know, it's sort of growing on me." I was picturing this horrible, horrible dress. I tried it on, and at first I didn't like it, because it was quite different and unique -the top of it is various shades of red, and front part is flowers, then it comes out and the bottom part is taffeta with ruffles at the end. Very different from my normal preference. But it's really pretty, it's really cool. It's kind of wild and fun.


The whole experience took two and a half hours, and I was really tired!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you put some photos of Emily at finals in her new dress, please? :)

Ann Marie said...

I second the request! Fashion photos from all three finalists would be great!

Anonymous said...

Please, I want it also!!!

Anonymous said...

We all loved your dress, Emily. But more than that, we all loved you! The audience was unanimous that Emily should have gotten that disappearing first prize and was enraged at how the prize giving was handled. I didn't like the Ginastera til you played it. We all loved how into the music you are, like you enjoyed every note. So charismatic on stage, so professional. You're an amazing harpist and performer! And your Liszt.... We are all fans!

A Jerusalem harpist